Shaping Democracy in Germany and Israel – Together! How does this work?
Bilateral Seminar for Professionals of German-Israeli Exchange Programs
|Datum:||16.08.2021 bis 20.08.2021|
Learning about and strengthening democratic competences belongs to the core principles of every exchange program. At the same time, democratic processes reveal challenges and point out differences of what democracy actually means and how it really works. What does it mean to distribute resources equally and equitably and how is this relevant for the cooperation between young people in Germany and Israel? How does the remembrance of the past relate to democratic decision-making in the present? Who is entitled to this decision-making and how does the ever-growing diversity in Germany and Israel affect these decisions?
Conact – Coordination Center German-Israeli Youth Exchange invites professionals of German-Israeli Exchange from both countries to a five-day method-seminar to exchange together on these challenging questions and their importance for exchange programs.
Using the well-established methodical approach of “Betzavta” – created by the Israeli Adam Institute for Democracy and Peace and adapted in Germany by the Center for Applied Policy Research – this seminar invites educators of German-Israeli exchange to:
- Zoom in on the relationships between people in Germany and Israel, tackling the past, the presence and the future under the scope of democratic decision-making
- Discuss existing cultures of memory and their meaning for young people in both countries
- Examine how different narratives in a diverse society shape the commemoration culture for future generations
- Tackle dilemmas and difficulties that arise when the people’s rights conflict with one another
- Tackle challenges of decision-making in topics such as environmental issues or immigration laws and our joint responsibility for the future
August 16 – 20, 2021
The seminar will start at on Monday, 10:00 a.m. and ends on Thursday evening. The departure for all participants is on Friday, August 20.
Please note: Arrival for participants from Germany is possible on the evening of August 15. The participants from Israel will arrive on August 15 and depart on August 20.
Please note: This is a small-scale seminar where your full participation will be required. This is also a pre-condition for your participation.
- Hotel Müggelsee, Berlin
- Professionals and educators in the frame of German-Israeli Exchange Programs
Facilitators: The seminar will be facilitated by Dr. Uki Maroshek-Klarman – Creator of the “Betzavta” method and director of the Adam Institute for Democracy and Peace (Israel) & Susanne Ulrich – Center for Applied Political Research (Germany). The seminar will be conducted in English.
Participation fee: The participation fee is 150,00 EUR and includes all the program costs for the five-day seminar.
For participants from Israel: The participation fee includes all program costs for the seminar, including travel costs, accommodation and full board. The flight booking will be arranged by the ConAct-Team.
Please do not book your own ticket!
For participants from Germany: The participation fee includes all program costs for the seminar, including accommodation and full board. Travel costs (Bahn, 2. Class) can be reimbursed.